Storing your Sweaters
It’s time to pull out summer clothing and pack up the cold weather gear. You want your beloved sweaters looking great next fall, so follow these simple tips and you’ll be glad you did.
- Clean everything. Period! Follow the care labels and make sure all your garments are fresh before storing them for the season. If the garments were dry cleaned, remove from the plastic bags.
- Invest in sturdy plastic bins with lids. This will keep the elements out and prevents the fibers from being crushed.
- Don’t cram. The garments need room to relax and breathe. Put the heaviest items on the bottom and lightest on top. If you are concerned about extremely delicate garments, wrap them in acid free tissue.
- Add a fresh scent. Keep pests away and your wardrobe smelling clean by tucking cedar blocks or lavender sachets in the bins.
- Store in a cool, dark, and dry location. Moisture, sunlight, and heat will break down the fibers of your clothing.